[dokuwiki] Re: Rincewind released

  • From: Tanguy Ortolo <tanguy+dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 18:35:02 +0200

Anika Henke, 2011-05-30 16:51 UTC+0100:
> I'm not sure for the reasons why this is so. But this script might
> help to find the (official) differences:
> http://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:release#tarball_build_script

Good, so I have an official list of changes. Now, I recommend this to be
implemented as a Git branch. Thus, preparing a new release would be as
easy as:
$ git checkout tarball
$ git merge stable # or whatever branch you want to release

By the way, I will also reiterate a suggestion I think I already made
but that may have been forgotten: naming the release branches according
to the release names. Currently there is a single stable branch and the
merge of the master branch into it looks quite artificial to me. For
instance, consider the following case:
1. a new release is made, creating or updating the stable branch;
2. some development is made on the master branch;
3. a bug is corrected on the master branch (it wuold have been better to
   do it in a dedicated branch forked from master and stable's common
   ancestor, but nobody is perfect);
4. this fix is backported to the stable branch;
5. a new fix release is made;
6. now a new release is made: merging master into stable will try to
   integrate this fix commit twice (I do not know how Git manages that,
   but I think it should be avoided).

Basically, a release is a fork of the development code, and has no
reason to depend on previous releases, that is why I think it should be
better (easier for people *and* for Git itself) to use a branch for each
release.

To connect this to my previous suggestion, here is how I imagine the
branches could relate to each other:
 master
  | tarball
  |  | rincewind
  ↓  |  ↓
  o  |  o
  |  ↓ /  anteater
  o   /  ↙
  |  o  o ← fix 2
  o /|  |
  |/ |  |
  o  |  o ← fix 1
  |  | /
  o  |/
  |  o ← remove files not to be on the tarball
  o /
  |/

 ,--.
: /` )   Tanguy Ortolo <xmpp:tanguy@xxxxxxxxx> <irc://irc.oftc.net/Elessar>