[dokuwiki] Re: Requiring summaries

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:03:39 -0500 (CDT)

>From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I'm currently busy with redoing the toolbar stuff and opened a can of
> worms with wanting to do the JavaScript stuff right. So I'm busy for a
> while.
>
> However what you want maybe could be solved very simply after my work
> is done, by simply adding your own custom javascript file which adds the
> wanted behaviours...

I just now looked into doing it this way.  Right now I believe the solution
requires modifying html.php.  But it sounds like you're working on making it
possible to do this without modifying html.php.

Here's what I think I need:

- The minor-edit checbkox's onchange needs to call a JS function.
- The summary button's onchange needs to call a JS function.  (I could just
extend summaryCheck(), but see below.)
- I need a way to initially enable or disable the "Save" button, based on
whether a summary is initially present (e.g. "created").  The server could do
this in PHP, or I could do it in a page refresh function.

I'm reluctant to modify distribution JS functions because those are just more
one-off deltas that I have to manage via Darcs.  If onchange does by default
call a JS function, it's not clear to me how I'd override those function,
unless they were put in a separate JS file.  But then that's one more
connection to the server reducing server capacity.

I could put a refresh function in my main.php (i actually already have one
there), but I'd be adding code that only applies to page edits.  Not clean, but
doable.

I'm curious to see what you come up with.

BTW, I think I would have preferred the minor edit checkbox and label to appear
directly below the summary textfield, maybe left-aligning the checkbox with the
left side of the textfield and putting the words "Minor Edit" to the right.
The reason: one place to look for minor-edit/summary information (at a glance),
and less sweeping of the mouse across the screen.

Also, what's your take on showing all non-minor edits in the feed, now that we
have a way to prevent clutter in the feed?  By only allowing logged-in users to
check minor-edit, I worry that it still may not make sense to do this.  (I
personally need all edits to show, as one edit may say "Class X cancelled" and
another "Presentation Y rescheduled" -- both for the same page.)

~joe