[dokuwiki] Re: Requiring summaries

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 08:03:56 -0500 (CDT)

>From: Redeeman <redeeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> i dislike this, instead you should just write what is required, so if
> its either minor edit, or summary, it will write that with small read
> text - or perhaps..

I can imagine that your approach would be better for some scenarios.  It
doesn't apply to mine, though, as I am the only editor of my site and I don't
need to see summaries for minor edits.

I do wonder whether always requiring summaries, even for minor edits, would
make requiresums so painful that no one would turn it on.  And if it were on,
I'd probably just put 'x' in for minor edit, or some such -- just so I didn't
have to say "changed spelling of 'teh' to 'the'" or even just "fixed spelling."

> what if the submit button just wasnt active untill either requirements
> were met? isnt this possible through javascript?

That is FANTASTIC idea.  The button should be de-highlighted until pressed.
Form buttons do have a 'disabled' property that we should be able to take
advantage of.  This certainly beats a dialog box.

It appears that there are three levels of minor edit button on the table:

- No minor edit button
- Either minor edit or summary required
- Summary always required

Should this be a level configuration variable of some sort?  Or is this getting
out of hand?

~joe