[dokuwiki] Re: Relicensing question

  • From: Tanguy Ortolo <tanguy+dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:26:33 +0200

Le lundi 14 juin 2010, Andreas Gohr a écrit :
> Well, identifiable authors (those who have a login) would be informed
> by email. Since we allow anonymous edits, there's no way to ask
> everyone.

I think anonymous edits can be considered to have been attributed to the
website owner be their anonymous authors.

> Additionally there is no one author of a page...

This is the fact that makes really hard to relicense a wiki. This is why
Wikipedia used a license trick: a license upgrade with a special clause
that allows them to relicense under the license they wanted.

> On the other hand I think most of the core documentation content was
> written by me and a handful of core contributors anyway.
>
> I know this is somewhat complicated, but shouldn't be unsolvable. It's
> not Shakespeare what we're talking about here...

No indeed, but unfortunately the copyright system does not care about
the quality or the importance of the writing, only its originality (a
plagiate or a traditional, authorless song is not copyrightable).

However, the fact that a given work is not good, or not very important
to its own author decreases the probability that he complains if someone
violates his copyright (and distributing it under another license
without authorization constitutes an unauthorized distribution, and thus
a copyright violation).

> PS: Is there someone who could help us with this? Maybe someone from
> the Creative Commons people? Or the FSF?

I think the CC would be the most appropriate people to ask about that.

--
Tanguy Ortolo