[dokuwiki] Re: Rebuild googlemap plugin with GoogleMap API v3

  • From: Dmitry Katsubo <dma_k@xxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:21:54 +0100

On 09.02.2011 23:11, Borodin Oleg wrote:
>  On 09/02/2011 18:12, Andreas Gohr wrote:
>> Dmitry, Borodin, Chris - I'd love to see one single, excellent Google
>> Maps plugin instead of multiple ones each doing slightly different
>> things. Any chance you guys could join forces (eg on github) and merge
>> you plugins?
>>
> Good idea. I was just asking about best practices/way.

I also support it. At the moment I have merged google
maps/calendar/video into one package. I use it for my local wiki.

> As far as I understand, quite different.
>
> 1 I think, Dmitry plugin performs a completely different task, the task
> of finding objects by name and rendering them on the map. He can use the
> code plugin googlemap,

Exactly. First -- call the geo location resolver, and then -- mark the
coordinates on the map.

> but put them together - will like the mix of a
> bulldozer and a fire truck. Monster.

I wouldn't say so, as googlemap plugin does (roughly) only the 2nd step
(mark the coordinates on the map).

What is at least doable is to agree on the syntax of plugin (for example
google_maps plugin uses "{{googlemaps>...}}" syntax and googlemaps
plugin uses "<googlemap ..>...</googlemap>" syntax; maybe both
alternatives should be in).

> 2 Github - ok.  But I think be wise to call a plugin a different name
> (and rename main tag), because Gmap APIv3 has _other_ logic & objects
> than APIv2, and because it I had to change the wiki syntax plugin. And
> it is possible to extend plugin functionality.

What will be the main official trunk for the plugin?

> I think that I will be able to achieve normal coexistence in one site
> new renamed googlemap and the previous version with deprecated API,
> written by Chris. This will allow people to have a period of compatibility.
>
> Is this way wisely? I'm afraid, the costs of the organizational work and
> mixing of a bulldozer and a fire truck will be more than the writing and
> publication of the plugin :)

When more than 1 person is involved, organizational work should be taken
into account. If you think that merging of all google plugins makes
sense for you, let's define the requirements and just do it.

--
With best regards,
Dmitry