[dokuwiki] Re: Proposal: FS#113, notify changes

  • From: Steven Danz <steven-danz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:06:24 -0500

Steven Danz wrote:

Andreas Gohr wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:23:15 -0500
Steven Danz <steven-danz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've worked up a patch for a first pass at allowing users to elect to have email sent to them when pages of the wiki are updated. Andreas suggested I post it and something of an overview of the approach to generate some discussion. I haven't tried to 'darcs send' it, but I could if that would be easier.

I just want to give some short feedback. I like your code but I'd like to defer inclusion until the next release is out (If I can get my ass up I will do a release this weekend - but no promises)

Thanks!  Sounds fine to me, just wanting to help.

I'd like to discuss the locking mechanism as well. The .mlist file needs to be locked for a very short time while writing only. The lock doesn't need to survive multiple script runs, too. So I think it would be more efficient to use the locking mechanisms provided by the underling OS using the flock() call instead of creating lockfiles our self...

Ah... that does sound much better (smacks head with hand). I knew I needed locking,
saw the lock routines and thought 'yeah, that is just what I need' and forgot all
about the OS builtins.

Well, I started reading and it looks like flock() doesn't sound too reliable, and
more so in my case as -everything- here runs over NFS. From looking at the comments
on Zend, it almost sounds like file locking in general might need some review thanks
to file caching issues and new multi-threaded Apache servers. I'm looking over
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.flock.php
now for some ideas. Let me know what you think.

Steven

Steven