[dokuwiki] Re: Problems with links to sections

  • From: Preben Randhol <randhol+dokuwiki@xxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:17:38 +0200

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:43:35 +0100
Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think this was to try and keep the links as readable as possible -
> therefore trying to limit any entity encoding.

What do you mean by readable? If one write ÎÎÎÏÎÏ this gets converted
to "thl". In another case I got simple "n". So this conversion will
actually provoke name conflicts I think. Also I don't see why one have
to remove the numbers?

> As I mentioned in the bug comment, there is a long term plan to
> include the table of contents in the metadata.  Page metadata is a
> much smaller and more accessible file, making a fragment-id look up a
> possibility.

Still I don't find this a good solution for linking between
pages and sections.

> Right now the toHeaderLink() is applied indiscriminately to create
> all header ids.  I think it would be a good idea to match the
> processing to the $conf[deaccent] setting - thereby allowing users of
> languages with predominantly non-ascii characters to set $conf
> [deaccent] = 0 and have virtually any character in their fragment
> identifier.

I can agree with that, but won't this break interwiki linking?

Alternatively one could introduce a wiki syntax where one can supply a
anchor. I mean it doesn't have to be for a section, but anywhere in the
text.

===== Section that has a very very long title |#section87 ======

or

[#some_achor#]

or something like this.

I'll have a look to see what other wikis do in this case.

However I think that if one process the header to convert it for
htmlspecial symbols (I mean convert & # space etc...) and then one can
either convert it to lowercase or not and either convert to
rawurlencoding or not. (I noticed that utf-8 page names gets converted
with rawurlencoding). I don't see a problem with this approach.

Keep up the excellent work

Preben