[dokuwiki] Plugin/Template authors: make the new extension manager work for you

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 15:39:03 +0200

Hi developers!

Not much is more frustrating than users using an old and outdated
version of your code, just because they don't know there's something
much better already.

Since the new Ponder Stibbons release, DokuWiki comes with the new and
shiny extension manager which let's users easily install and upgrade
extensions right from within their DokuWiki.

The extension manager will also check for newer versions of the
installed plugins and lets users know about new releases. However,
this needs **correct version info**!

So how does the extension manager know what to do? It compares two
dates: the one listed on the plugin's or template's page at
dokuwiki.org [1] and the one in the plugin.info.txt or
template.info.txt. This means these dates have to be correct.

As developers we often forget to update one or the other. Up til now
that wasn't that critical. But now it is really important for users.

So to make it a bit easier for you, we have a new page in our wiki:
https://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:badextensions

This page is autogenerated nightly with information gathered from the
extension's github repositories. So it only works for people having
their extensions at github (if you don't you should).

Anyway. Check the page and see if your extension is listed. If it is,
go fix your versions.

Happy coding,
Andi

[1] actually the date comes from the pluginrepo's API and is cached at
the user's wiki. So if you change a date it may take up to 24h until
users know about it.

--
splitbrain.org