[dokuwiki] Re: Packaging Angua for Debian

  • From: Myron Turner <turnermm02@xxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 15:21:40 -0600

On 1/11/2012 6:31 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
All this would have been asked to you, but you configured the Debian
configuration system, debconf (or kept it configured) so that it never
asks you questions when there exist a default value.

For the admin user ID, it is “admin”. Access is limited to localhost for
initial security. The configuration file, template and plugin directory
are only writeable by root.

If you want to be given choices, I suggest that you configure debconf so
that is asks you:
# dpkg-reconfigure debconf

While I use many variations of Linux for testing purposes, I am not a regular user of either Debian or Ubuntu and was not aware of debconf when installing Dokuwiki. But to some extent this is part of my point. I approached the install as any other novice by using the synaptic package manager, which makes no reference to this option. I didn't expect that I would have to go to a terminal to make changes from the command line. I've installed Debian several times several times and don't remember being asked if I wanted to detailed questions about defaults when installing new software, but that may be an over-sight on my part.

From the description of debconf on dokuwiki.org/install:debian, I still would expect to be given access to the userid of the administrator.

As for the permissions questions, it seems counter-productive to have an administrator who can't administer because he can't access either the configuration files or the plugin directory. Dokuwiki is set up by default to be secure by having an administrator with administrator privileges.

>  4. When doing a complete uninstall, the synaptic package manager doesn't
>  uninstall /var/lib/dokuwiki.
That is expected to, in order not to remove wiki pages by mistake. In
other words, user data is kept by defaultk.

I accept your point here and caution certainly is important, but the synaptic package manager gives several options, one of which is a partial uninstall and one of which is a complete uninstall. I assumed that the complete uninstall would do what it said.

I am thinking about ease of installation, which should be the aim of GUI package managers like synaptic. The user should be able to install Dokuwiki without knowing anything about the underlying OS or about the underlying structure of Dokuwiki or of Debian's installation of Dokuwiki, which is far from straight-forward. And the user should then be able to manage it.
--
Myron Turner
http://mturner.org/