[dokuwiki] Re: Namespace without start page?

  • From: Kees Nuyt <k.nuyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 20:53:33 +0200

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:01:29 -0400, you wrote:

>In order to manage ACLs more easily, I’d like to change a flat organization
>into one that has multiple namespaces. In other words, right now I have a
>bunch of stuff in “xyz:”; I want to create some sub-namespaces (“xyz:a”,
>“xya:b”) so that I can give different groups access to some but not all of the
>pages.
>

>I have no particular interest in having a start page for these new namespaces,
>but I’m not sure if I can get away with that (or if it is even desirable).
>

>Thoughts, comments?

The start page is optional.

At my job, we have several relatively small namespaces, often with
just 5 to 10 pages per namespace.

The top level namespaces  are specific for organisational units
(OU) (one to one with ACL groups). Each OU has delete access in
its own namespace, and read accesss in the namespaces of all other
OUs.

The OUs are free to subdivide their own namespace to their liking.

Within each groups namespace, often a subnamespace tree of 2 or
three levels deep is created. In many cases only the top level's
start page, or one level deeper, is used for introductions and
pointers to the detail contents, with a heading per subnamespace.

That works quite nicely, although it's not as clean (nor as
convoluted) as a "Dewey Decimal system".
--
  (  Kees Nuyt
  )