[dokuwiki] Re: My christmas present for the DokuWiki community

  • From: Esther Brunner <wikidesign@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 09:17:58 +0100

Hi Chris

One piece of feedback, for your small-screen mobile device version. Some mobile devices use double tap to zoom (e.g. iphone/ipod touch), where they will zoom to the width of the element where the double tap occurred. Its really handy to have an obvious space where you can do that double tap. Conversely elements which are all clickable links are annoying as there is nowhere you can double tap. That's menus on some websites and in DokuWiki its the TOC. Any chance you could add double tap areas, for the TOC in particular, for the other columns possibly. Maybe a solid colour bar with a little magnifier icon - all background so you don't end up zooming to a different element.

Very good point, thanks Chris! I was aware of this problem with the navigation menu (that's way there is plenty of white space above and below the sidebar menu), but forgot about the TOC.

I'm not sure though whether a magnifier icon is appropriate. Some users might mistake it for search or a link to a detail view. I think it should be more a subtle, but recognizable structure - like embossed dots or stripes indicate dragable areas. - I don't know whether a best practice how to indicate double tap areas is already established. I'll do some research.

At least for the portrait view of iPhone OS and any mobile device screen with a width lower than 300px I would like to offer a linearisized version of the site. Luckily, in DokuWiki the content of the page is in a single column. The main difference is that navigation is below the content, because you are primarily interested in page content and only after reading it (or finding out it was not what you were looking for) you need the navigation to go elsewhere. In this version no double tap areas are necessary.

-- Esther