[dokuwiki] Re: Multilingual wiki survey...

  • From: Guy Brand <gb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:07:10 +0200

On 12 June at 00:05, Terence J. Grant wrote:

> Thanks, I've found the discussions in the archives now, but they're of
> no further insight as far as I can see.

  In my notes on the subject, I have the following issues to be
  addressed:

    - how to switch interface language?
      * browser detection is one option (browserlanguagedetection patch)
      * an other interesting option would be to choose a language from a
        menu/list autobuild through DW, Andreas suggested this could
        be done the mediawiki-way using interwiki links

    - how to link two pages which are translations of one another?
      * simple approach: use dedidated language namespaces (Alexey's
        patch and keep the same page names (+ interwiki links)
      * better approach: a plugin which knows that page "gens.txt"
        in the <fr> namespace is "people.txt" in <en> namespace, as
        pagenames could be translated too (we don't want to force
        useheading)
      * apache-like approach: hack autoplural to have it expand file
        name like apache does (start.txt, start.fr.txt, start.de.txt)
        but this could become a nightmare
      * have only a single page (master source), which contains all
        translations (one parsed file, output differs) a la wml:
        maintain for authors. Cannot be cached.
      * a mixture of dedidated language namespaces + single page

    - how to sync translated pages together?
      * if a plugin knows which files are associated together (such as
        "gens.txt" and people.txt in the above example) it could ease
        the update of any page which has a translated sister
      * with single page as translations source, that's easy

--
  bug