[dokuwiki] Re: Multilingual wiki

  • From: Sander Tekelenburg <tekelenb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 03:42:05 +0100

At 17:52 +0100 UTC, on 2007-02-01, Esther Brunner wrote:

[...]

>> it might be wise to consider the possibility that at some point in
>> the future you'd want to be able to define other types of relations. Being
>> stuck with 'hard-coded' lang namespaces might then turn out to be a problem?
>
> Okay, what about the following order to determine the language of a page?

FWIW, I'm not claiming I know how to do it right. i18n isn't exacly easy. I
was mostly just voicing some hurdles I saw ;)

> 1. $meta['language'] (can be set with the Meta Plugin: ~~META:language=de~~)
> 2. top-most namespace if it's a valid language code (e.g.
>de:ns:subspace:page)
> 3. deepest subspace if it's a valid language code (e.g. ns:subspace:de:page)
> 4. default language of the wiki (set in config)

Concerning mechanisms 2 and 3, I think that'd result in a similar hurdle:
what about authors who are unaware that certain namespaces have a special
meaning? Someone might be using "de:pagename" without meaning to incidate a
language at all. Or it might even in fact be meant to indicate a language but
without meaning to indicate any relation at all. (One section in a wiki might
be in english, another in german. That doesn't necessarily mean they're
tanslations of each other.)

I think if you're going to assign some special value to certain namespace
strings, you need to reserve them in such a way that they cannot be used for
anything else. (And then still you'd have to consider
backwards-compatibility, for wikis that already use those namespaces.)

Considering this, using namespaces to indicate 'meta relationships' probably
isn't going to work well.

I'm beginning to think that the only 'right' way is to make translated pages
a property of the original. And the simplest implementation would probably
still be the earlier mentioned Apache file naming convention. Or else, store
all translations of a page within the same file (as I believe has been
mentioned earlier).

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>