[dokuwiki] Re: Mini - DokuWiki distribution

  • From: Sven Meier <sven@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:07:48 +0100

Why not a full release and a light one with only Nepali language ;).

BTW, 2009-02-14 looks perfect after upgrading my installation - thanks.

Sven

Wes schrieb:
I agree. I hate having to delete the hundreds of unnecessary language
files from the updates.

-Wes

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Kévin Gautreau
<kevin.gautreau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Maybe a full release and a light one with only english language and other
langpacks separatly.

Kévin
----------------------------------
Gautreau Kévin
----------------------------------

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Andrei Shpakov <webwesen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Frank Thommen
<fthommen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Quoting Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Which leads to the question: Why aren't languages, at least "exotic"
ones treated as extensions or moved to diffenent releases (core,
multilang), as 2/3 of the download size is dispensable.
May I ask you a question? What size is your harddrive? 100 gigabytes?
200 gigabytes? 500 gigabytes? What size do you think your hardrive
will have next year?

What is all this talk about size? 5 or 15 megabytes, why does it matter?

Isn't the convenience for someone speaking Nepali to have to DokuWiki
running in his own language right from the start worth more than
saving 10 megabytes of space?

I seriously don't get it.

Andi
I think if somebody asks for it, then he or she has probably good reasons
to do
so.  Maybe he/she wants to be able to send the complete wiki in compacted
form
by email etc.?   Such a wish should not be dismissed right away.  There
seem to
be good/usable solutions to reduce the size of the DokuWiki core.  So why
being
so negative about it?

And: Size *does* matter (in some respect).  Maybe not in matters of money
(at
least not for us happy people in rich countries) but more size usually
means
more files -> more complexity -> worse manageability.

Finally - as a more concrete proposal: Why not add the possibility to
strip
unwanted languages with the installation process or within the DokuWiki
configuration pages?

Cheers

 frank
I agree with Frank - some people pay for bandwidth and even more - those
who use those exotic languages are affected the most by n*MB downloads.
let them download core + just their lang pack.