[dokuwiki] Meta Data and Search Engine Rankings?

  • From: John Concilus <jconcilus@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 06:17:06 -0900

Hello,

I love the flexibility of Dokuwiki for all the reasons wiki engines are powerful...and
am converting an HTML site right now. The ability to have shared page and content
editing at this site will rock.

However, the site I'm working literally has "number one" site status in most major search
engines on the key search terms for that content type. I am concerned that as I
convert things I may hurt the site's rankings.

I'm looking over the files here, and can't find a way to get my meta data in
like with HTML pages. I don't use a ton of it, but what I do use is very content
specific, and seems to help.

Am I missing something? Are the search robots suddenly going to be less
informed about my pages? ;-) Are there robots.txt file adjustments I should make?
Am I just being needlessly concerned?

I have implemented URL rewriting for "prettier" paths using Apache mod-rewrite
technique.

I customized the header for my template quite a bit, and imagine I could put generic
meta data in there, but it wouldn't be page content specific.

Any tips or advice appreciated!

I'm really close to being able to do the content conversion, but don't want to implement
a Dokuwiki based interface if it's going to have a major negative impact on the site.

Regards,

JTC
--

        "No matter where you go, there you are."

                                Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius

Digital Contacts: http://www.bssd.org jconcilus@xxxxxxxx Skype VOIP: Johncn2

John Concilus, Coordinator of Educational Technology
Bering Strait School District
225 Polar Bear Avenue
Unalakleet, AK 99684
907-624-4237 (Office)