[dokuwiki] Re: Media manager mockups

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 21:26:11 +0200

Hi,

>> http://i.imgur.com/2KhFr.png
>>
>> The main problem imho is that the columns may be too narrow to display all
>> necessary information and may require horizontal scrolls.
>
> I like this version, partly because it looks similar to the column finder
> interface from MacOS, though with a tree for the namespaces. Perhaps the
> whole bottom section can scroll horizontally to present the file info pane,
> thus hiding the namespace tree? Even without JavaScript, that's work nicely,
> and with JS it could be a very nice interface, sliding out the right file
> info pane (scrolling the whole manager left) when a file is selected.

I like this idea! I hadn't thought of the Mac interface before, but
yes that could work quite well here.

>> 2. The next idea is to have only two columns. On the right is a list of
>> files.
>> Or the image scope detailed view with the bread crumbs of the current
>> namespace hierarchy at the top. User can select the image from the list
>> and go
>> to it's detailed view. To go back to the list user should click on the
>> link
>> to the correct namespace in the bread crumbs or in the tree.
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/vqTj4.png
>
> That could work, but creates a modal box within the context of the media
> manager. Isn't that a bad thing?

Well, it's basically what we have right now when you edit JPEG meta
data in the media popup. Is it a bad thing? Maybe.

>> Or maybe one of the arrow points could fold out the list files(blue
>> triangle).
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/CRWl5.png
>> http://i.imgur.com/napw7.png (when click on blue triangle)
>
> I don't like this version, because it's hiding things too much, and is
> similarly modal.

I agree. I had this idea when discussing the interface with Kate, but
I don't really like it myself anymore. It's complicated to implement
and doesn't really add anything useful to the interface.

splitbrain.org