[dokuwiki] Re: Mass assignment of groups in user manager

  • From: "Andreas Gohr" <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:04:23 +0200

Hi,

> as promised (some months ago) - here is a patch for the usermanager plugin
> that will add a gui to assign groups to all of the selected users. Hopefully
> this will make its way into the next release. I'm open for comments and
> suggestions.

I finally found the time to have a look at the patch. I like the idea,
but there are a few minor things to nitpick on.

1) When the backend isn't capable of retrieving groups, you select
*all* users and extract the groups from them. This is a bad idea
because the list of users could be huge (think of a company using
their LDAP directory for authentication - there could be thousands of
users).

2) With a big number of groups, the list of check boxes can grow huge.

3) With the groups management in its own section, it is not clear that
the affected users need to be selected in the form above.

I'd suggest a simpler approach: add the mass group management at the
bottom of the user table like this:

( ) add or ( ) delete the following grous for selected users:

You can just select the users above, the action (delete or add) and
add a list of comma separated groups like when creating or modifying a
user.

What do you think?