[dokuwiki] Re: Load balancing hypothetical

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 16:17:10 +0200

Joe Lapp writes:

Roughly speaking, what would it take to enable Dokuwiki for load
balancing?  I think details like page indexing, page locks, user profiles,
ACLs, revision history, etc., could ultimately be farmed out to a database
(via interface abstractions), but how would we load balance the page and
media files themselves?  Is it possible to load-balance a filesystem?  And
would it be possible to do so within the Dokuwiki architecture?  I DO NOT
want my page and media files in a database, save possibly by mirroring.

We will (if we get the job) do some analysis of possible scaling mechanisms in DokuWiki for a customer in the next weeks. When we have done so I may give some more detailed info on this.

Some ideas that pop into mind would be using multiple loadbalanced webservers accessing a single storage system, eg. using simple NFS mounts or some expensive network attached storage (NAS).

Removing the dynamic breadcrumbs, adding IMS-checking and cache-age header writing could help, too. I guess this could be easily done through an Action plugin. This could be combined with a squid reverse proxy.