[dokuwiki] Re: Linked Timestamping

  • From: Jason Grout <jason-doku@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:25:20 -0500

On 3/30/11 10:12 AM, Michael Kirchner wrote:
Hi,

me again.

Am 25.03.2011 20:56, schrieb Håkan Sandell:
Keep on using DokuWiki everywhere (but not as an ELN)

while I understand the problem and agree that dokuwiki will not be an
ELN, I still cannot just forget the idea. I did some searching and it
seems an imortant step towards my needs would be trusted timestamping.
There is one implementation (or way of doing it) called linked timestamping.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Linked_Timestamping

The general idea is that you hash your new dokuments hash plus timestamp
together with the previous hash. Now and again you publish the hash in a
newspaper or similar. There seems to be some added security if you
aggregate your own hashes with those of other users hashes. There are
some disadvantages but the main advantage is that there is no PKI/key
management needed. The idea is quite old, like several 100 years with
paper and simple hashes, but also in terms of computer it stems from
stone-age (early 90ies), has been researched on, there are ISO, ANSI and
RFC documents.

This is similar to what git does, for example. Every commit has a hash that is calculated from the contents of that commit *and* the preceding hash (IIRC). That means that if you have a hash that represents a certain commit in git, you can be relatively certain (up to how much you trust the hashing algorithm) that the entire chain of edits from the start has not been tampered with. I believe Mercurial and Mono do similar things.

So I would probably look at using git for something like this, but IANAL, and I don't know all of the details of your requirements, and this is definitely not legal advice, etc.

The nice thing is that you could publish hashes, or if you wanted, just push your entire repository somewhere (or have someone agree to pull from your repository periodically).

Thanks,

Jason