[dokuwiki] Lightweight DokuWiki with Terre template

  • From: Danny Trommer <dantro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:47:41 +0100

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of building up a huge discography index site for a
band called the Beastie Boys.
I've formerly maintained their official discography at beastieboys.com
which was dropped by their new management some time ago.
The new site is called www.beastiemuseum.de which is being mirrored
through www.beastiemuseum.com and www.beastiemania.de

The development plan did go for a lightweight, flatfile using, newest
technology driven wiki engine. So I mangled around with WikiDX from
turland.com for two months only to figure out that I improved their code
more than intended while the overall development process of WikiDX is
not really going on by notable steps.

So I switched to DokuWiki a few days ago just building another DokuWiki
tree which uses the current development sources as improved by code
snippets from the latest official release.

Since I realised DokuWiki is getting slower a lot by using more and more
plugins I am now cutting out everything not needed for a typical Terre
installation. E.g. I am cleaning out breadcrumbs, the interwiki shizzle
and all the language files not needed. Does anyone have a good guide on
howto cleanup the DokuWiki sources?

As you can see on beastiemuseum.de I am in a major trouble with the
index system. Since the terre theme uses the index as main navigation
(which I like) I have to find a way on why some strtolower() function
transforms all my main categories to lower case. Even if I create
folders like" ./data/pages/Discography" the DokuWiki engine create a new
folder called "./data/pages/discography" to put content in it. Lower
case looks unprofessional on my page. Also if I want to have folders
like "./data/pages/$5 Extra" then I can create them on the webserver and
DokuWiki shows them ok.. just when I want to edit it then a new folder
called "./data/pages/5_extra" is being created and therefore gets shown
on the website. This is plain ugly and in this case unwanted. How can I
circumvent this? By a plugin? By changes the source code the hard way?
What would it cost to hire a plugin writer for this job?

Regards,
Danny Trommer

--
The Beastie Museum (BM)