[dokuwiki] Re: Licensing options in the installer

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 12:05:22 +0200

> I believe the default in most countries is "all rights reserved."

Well, the  problem is that just "all rights reserved" isn't especially
helpful to a possible editor in a public wiki. Whose rights are
reserved when I edit this wiki?
Also the default depends heavily on the context the wiki is used in.
In a company wiki for example, the default is usually that everything
belongs to the company.

> The link could just point to a general FAQ about copyright. This looks
> sufficiently informative: http://www.wipo.int/copyright/en/faq/

But is in English only.

Anyway. Choosing the right license is responsibility of the wiki
creator. We give some sensible options by providing a choice of CC
licenses and even default to an open license we especially like (as it
matches the open source philosophy) but in the end, choosing has to be
done by the creator. And education about copyright and licenses is not
our task.

How about adding a list of educational sites about copyright and
license choosing (like the one above) to the config:license page and
add a link to that page in the installer?

> The installer would write license.local.php for you, I'm not suggesting
> new config variables.

I believe this to be overkill. If you really want to use your own
license, you probably will think about it when the wiki is setup and
running. Not during the installer script phase.

> Perhaps we could merely change the prompt string. "Please choose the
> license notice that will be displayed." This implies the current meaning
> of "the license you want to put your content under", but also suggests
> that you can choose "None" if an open license is not applicable.

This sounds good to me. Send a pull request or open a ticket.

> Yes, I mean that inc/lang/*/install.php should mention this. Someone
> using DokuWiki for the first time may not be familiar with the
> configuration page and the many options that are available. Saying this
> reassures them that what they enter in the install form is not
> permanent.

Agreed. Pull Request or ticket please.

> Regarding translations, it could be something like:

I'm not sure the license names should be translated. We're pointing to
the international versions which are written in English. The name is
basically the name of the license contract and I'm not sure it's
allowed to change it unless you're choosing a license ported to a
national jurisdiction.

Case in point: if you go to one of the linked URLs, choose a different
language at the bottom (eg. German) and then click through to the
legalese ("rechtsverbindlichen Lizenzvertrages") you're back to an
English version.

splitbrain.org