[dokuwiki] Re: License of the DokuWiki farming code (and Relicensing question)

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:11:06 +0200

>> So I'd like to ask you guys how you feel about a license change to
>> CC-BY-SA? As Anika said above changing the license isn't an easy thing
>> because in theory you'd need to ask all contributors. On the other
>> hand Wikipedia did something similar just recently (changing from
>> GnuFDL to CC-BY-SA). But before we delve into how to change the
>> license I'd like to get your feedback on what you think about it.
>
> Unfortunately that’s completely not going to work. What the Wikimedia
> projects did is upgrading their GFDL 1.2+ content to GFDL 1.3 and then
> using a very specific clause of this license which allows wikis to
> migrate their content in a very specific timeframe from GFDL 1.3 to
> CC-BY-SA-3.0.

Okay, I see. We have to go into how the license change might work,
basically I image three steps:

1st explain why and what the license change is good for + some to see
if people agree at all

2nd give a timeframe (possibly several months) where a message is
displayed about the change to come at the top of the wiki. There
should be a way where people can object to have their content
relicensed. In that case we identify and remove it.

3rd we finally switch the license.

Maybe someone could do a research if and how other projects did
something like this?

splitbrain.org