[dokuwiki] Re: License of the DokuWiki farming code

  • From: Tanguy Ortolo <tanguy+dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:43:08 +0200

Thank you for replying, Anika. :-)

Le dimanche 13 juin 2010, Anika Henke a écrit :
> As stated in the header of the script at
> http://www.dokuwiki.org/tips:farm#add_preloadphp that preload.php is a
> mixture of other scripts. I rewrote them and put them together. I am
> fine with re-licensing that part of which I am the author. (By the way,
> how does that work? Can I simply add a license header as CC-BY-SA and
> that will be compatible to its current license?)

I am not sure that “compatible with its current CC-BY-NC-SA” means
anything. But you can do that, as the original author.

> But as I don't know who the authors of the other bits are, I don't know
> if I can just do that!?

No, you cannot. One can only relicense (redistribute under a different
license) a copyrighted work if he owns the copyright on it (that is, if
he is the author and has not given exclusive rights to someone else) or
if he has the authorization of the copyright owner to do so.

For instance, anyone can relicense a BSD-licensed work, because the BSD
license is an authorization to relicense. But only the author or
copyright owner can relicense a CC-*-SA work, because the share-alike
clause is to forbid relicensing (or allow it only under a very similar
license).

> Let's try to piece it together:
> * The virtual host part from Drupal.org's /includes/bootstrap.inc: I
> guess that's fine, as Drupal is GPL2.

No, that is not fine. I mean, you cannot relicense a GPL work. You have
to keep it under the GPL, that is a free license, so this is not really
an issue, as long as the derivative works of it are licensed under a
compatible license. To be checked, I think.

> * The $config_cascade part was originally written by Chris Smith. As
> that's based on what he wrote for DokuWiki's inc/init.php, it should be
> GPL2 as well.

Same remark.

> * The htaccess part is a bit more complicated:
>   a) As they are only three lines of code, I'm not even sure if it's
> necessary to state an author?

I think it is. If nobody claims it, you could perhaps state it is public
domain, but even a 3-lines haiku falls under copyright. :-)

--
Tanguy Ortolo