[dokuwiki] Re: Improve the repository plugin

  • From: Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 10:48:46 +0100

Hakan.Sandell@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
1. Add a download link entry to the data field. It would make latest version easier to find for both humans and bots.
It makes it also possible to have a "download now" button in the plugin list.

In general a good idea.
But I don't like the "download now" in the plugin list. It would probably lead to confusion for plugins with dependencies. Currently even plugins with a big, fat warning on top stating it needs e.g. a different plugin often get "bug reports" by users who overlook it.

It has been discussed before that some sort of meta-data should be available from www.dokuwiki.org
to make it possible to add "new version available" and replace the current
"update"
function something better.

What's the definition of "new" in "new version available"? ;-)

3. Add a data field to hide deprecated plugins from the plugin list. That way information about them could be accessed from some
sort of plugin graveyard.

Who defines what's deprecated? Some users use older DokuWiki version and will need plugins which are deprecated for the latest version.

I'd rather suggest, defining the values for the 'compatible' field and make the plugin list filter each version + devel (+ unknown?). That could offer an incentive for plugin authors to populate that field properly. So, instead of writing "2005-07-01 - 2009-02-14" or "2006-11-06+" or "2008-05-05 and earlier" it should list every single version (comma-separated) inbetween. To make that easier the namespace template should list *all* version, so authors only need to delete the inappropriate versions. That probably also needs a way to prevent authors not deleting anything, hence leading to wrong data. Maybe add something like a comment to prevent the data being processed, before this comment has been knowingly removed?

5. Maybe the plugins should be grouped by compatibility.

See previous comment.

6. There is to many different tags to be useful

Just to let you know: The editing and stripping of the tags is on my ToDo list for a very long time now.
Especially having "link", "linking" and "links" is not very useful. ;-)
As we should keep tags only to English, the many French tags will have to go as well.

If no-one is quicker than me, I intended to go through *all* of the plugins and adjust the tags to a meaningful set (some time in the future).

scrolling. The current tags are a mixture of
names, groups, techs, languages and associations. I think that some sort of guideline/help on how to choose 1-3 good tags
would be good.

I think (or hope?) that as soon as the tags are reduced to that meaningful set, most of the time people will automatically add only tags which are on that set already.

Anika