[dokuwiki] Improve the repository plugin

  • From: Hakan.Sandell@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:25:27 +0200

Hi list,

while making the plugin survey I've collected some thoughts about the plugin:repository
and how to improve it. I'm also inspired by http://drupal.org/project/Modules ,
and http://www.twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/WebHome

1. Add a download link entry to the data field. It would make latest version easier to find for both humans and bots.
It makes it also possible to have a "download now" button in the plugin list.

2. If a download entry is present next thing is having plugin:repository talking to plugin manager.
It has been discussed before that some sort of meta-data should be available from www.dokuwiki.org
to make it possible to add "new version available" and replace the current "update"
function something better. I suggest that data fields of each plugin page could be accessed as xml, either
plugin by plugin or complete list.

3. Add a data field to hide deprecated plugins from the plugin list. That way information about them could be accessed from some
sort of plugin graveyard. Possible with an auto redirect to a replacing plugin. I think it would be nice to be able to answer the
users "What happend to my plugin?", some admin's may not checks the recent changes on dokuwiki.org or subscribe ;-)

4. Alphabet links should be added at the top of the plugin list, to avoid excessive scrolling. The tag cloud is ok but sometimes you
want to search by name.

5. Maybe the plugins should be grouped by compatibility. If only plugins stating explicit compatibility with current release if shown
in a prominent place more people would be encouraged to test/check/update plugins. Compare with http://moinmo.in/ThemeMarket

6. There is to many different tags to be useful, TWiki has a ratio on 2:1 (plugin:tag) while DokuWiki has 1:1,3
TWiki's tag cloud is also larger making more information visible without scrolling. The current tags are a mixture of
names, groups, techs, languages and associations. I think that some sort of guideline/help on how to choose 1-3 good tags
would be good. Otherwise use a fixed set of valid tags to choose from (not my favourite).

Cheers!

/Håkan