[dokuwiki] Re: How to number headlines ?

  • From: Anika Henke <a.c.henke@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:21:29 +0200

Chris Smith wrote:

On 4/3/06, Serge Leblanc <serge.leblanc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello, I wish to number the titles of the chapters.  I tested the
following order but that does not function.

- ====headline 1====
- ===subheadline 1===

How to carry out that? *1. headline 1*  *    1.1 subheadline 1*
*    1.2 subheadline 2*

The best way to do this is probably by syntax plugin. Would someone care to propose a syntax?

e.g.
- header replacement (this would mean all headers are numbered).
- page key + header replacement (headers on pages with key are numbered, wiki can contain pages with all headers numbered headers or all headers as now)
- new syntax (can have unnumbered headers and numbered headers intermixed on the same page)

Assuming that in most cases numbered headlines will be needed for technical documentation and such, I would go for the second suggestion (page key + header replacement).

I am not voting for header replacement without page key, because there might be some wikis that would exclusively use numbered headlines. But the majority would mix those two: some parts of a wiki might need that feature and other parts might not need it. And it is better to turn that feature in every single page on (eg. with "~~OH:3~~", meaning Ordered Headlines up to 3rd level; or just "~~OH~~"), than not be to be able to turn it off in some pages.

And I am not voting for a new syntax per headline (eg. with "==== ## headline ===="), because those who need numbered headlines usually use well-structured documents and will usually apply numbered headlines to whole pages ...!?
Hmmm. But then again, you could just always prepend each headline with "##" when writing some structured docs and leaving it out in others ... That might be more convenient and easier to remember. I don't like these "turning on/off per page"-things anyway.
So, I think I have changed my mind ... I would vote for a new syntax:
"===== ## Numbered Headline ====="
Hmmm. (Just thinking aloud again.) But ... turning it on per page would have the benefit of not "destroying" the source and not having so many "##"s when the plugin is not applied ... Hmmm.
No, I think I will keep to my last notion: A new syntax is more flexible for more potential cases.

BTW, that plugin would close http://bugs.splitbrain.org/?do=details&id=19.

But I know what will come next. People would want to be able to start at a specific number ...!?

Just curious ... Would a plugin like that be too far away from the (too) often asked for feature allowing certain kinds of formatting and substi(tu)tion in headlines (http://bugs.splitbrain.org/?do=details&id=208)??