[dokuwiki] Re: How to handle invalid string in core language files

  • From: Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 09:48:43 +0000

On 13/11/2011 08:54, Andreas Gohr wrote:
But I just ran into something I'm not sure how to fix. In
./lib/plugins/conf/lang/en/lang.php you'll find the following:
$lang['cssdatauri']  = 'Size in bytes [...] This technique won\'t work in IE
<  8! [...]';

The problem here is the "<". Although that is very easy to fix, it causes a
problem, because most of the language files are translated by many
volunteers through translate.dokuwiki.org. And the reason I'm not sure what
to do, is because I don't know how translators will "translate" any fix?

I just noticed that we have the same problem here:

$lang['btn_newer']             = '<<  more recent';
$lang['btn_older']             = 'less recent>>';

I noticed that as well and checked it earlier. Here we are using hsc() around the output, so it is *not* a problem. But...

For those two I would suggest using an UTF-8 arrow character instead.
The Question is which one.

Could you check which of the arrows at
http://www.dokuwiki.org/playground:arrows work for you guys?

As those characters are typographically not correct anyway, to change them is a good idea. (And it would make "translation rules" more consistent.)
I like Rightwards white arrow and Left-shaded white rightwards arrow.

Another option is to not use any characters there at all, but *background images*. Something like the default template's closed.gif (plus another one 180° flipped). The advantage would be that it looks more consistent across all OS and browsers.

Anika