[dokuwiki] Re: Help with dokuwiki feature as a school project

  • From: Michael Hamann <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 11:07:52 +0100

Hi,

Excerpts from Marek Sacha's message of 2010-02-26 18:19:56 +0100:
> Try to find interesting part not featured yet in dokuwiki (as well as
> fixing bugs, making documentation, solving any other issue) that you
> find important or interesting.
[...]
> If you could help me find some appropriatly complex task which copuld
> help community I would be gratefull. Please only keep in mind I have
> quite strict deadlines.

A feature that might be nice are media file revisions, see also
http://bugs.dokuwiki.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=598. That means that old
versions of files are stored. It's probably not that easy, you would need to
think about how to present a changelog (or if they should be integrated into
the main changelog), and if you should kind of duplicate everything we have
for pages now or if it might be a better idea to reuse the existing templates
for pages and fully integrate media revisions there. There is also the question
if media files should then always be embedded in the state they had when that
page was last saved, I think that should be configurable with both a global
config option and an extension of the media syntax. And after all there are a
lot of new actions like restore old files, view differences (e.g. display two
images next to each other), perhaps also delete old revisions, perhaps also
a RSS feed for media changes, ...

I think it's quite a complex subject, perhaps you also need to remove some of
the features or e.g. just add a small changelog in the mediamanager popup
instead of a complete integration. Probably you should also do it as a plugin
(that will be a core plugin?) so you should also be familiar with the DokuWiki
event system and find places where you can integrate events (or use existing
events) to realize these features.

You also have to decide how to store the revisions, if you want to integrate a
SCM, there is e.g. a pure PHP git implementation
(http://github.com/patrikf/glip) but I'm not sure how complete/usable/bug free
it is, or if you want to do it like with pages by just storing the old files
with a timestamp added in a separate directory.

Greetings
Michael Hamann