[dokuwiki] Re: Google Summer of Code

  • From: Michael Hamann <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 21:37:28 +0100

Hi,

Excerpts from J.C.'s message of 2011-02-02 20:02:13 +0100:

Thanks for offering to mentor an Android app, my ideas are:
- download all pages or certain pages using XML-RPC, possibly also media
  files/referenced images
- update offline pages based on the listing of all pages or the
  changelog
- view pages (either from cache or XML-RPC), internal links need to be
  changed to be handled by the app
- edit or create pages with a simple editor and upload using XML-RPC,
  ability to store edited pages locally and upload as batch
- for locally changed pages: either display them as plain text or render
  some basics (like headings, lists, links, basic formatting, code
  blocks)
- upload photos (and other files), also using a queue

All these features are available in the XML-RPC interface that already
exists.

As I don't know which components Android already provides or which can
be easily used I don't know if we need to remove some features from the
initial version.

My general idea of that app is to make information from a dokuwiki
installation available on mobile devices where you don't always have a
good data connection and perhaps also provide a possibility for mobile
blogging.

These are just my ideas, I don't know what other people think/want. E.g.
if the main focus shall be mobile blogging the app will probably be a
bit different, but then we also need a XML-RPC interface for blogtng
(which should be relatively easy to create, if needed I can implement
that). I personally don't see the main focus on editing pages but on
viewing pages offline with automatic updates of the offline version.

Michael