[dokuwiki] [GSoC] Introduction and some ideas

  • From: Constantinos Xanthopoulos <conx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 13:20:02 +0000

Hello all,

As a user of DokuWiki and I would like to congratulate you for
your submission to GSoC!
I am pretty confident that after this summer DW will be even better!

I am a Greek undergraduate student at University of Peiraeus, Computer
Science Department.
Being currently at the 5th year of my studying and approaching to my
graduation I feel mature enough to meet your requirements.
These days I deal with my thesis which is related with hardware (I use
a FPGA card, an open-source processor and Debian in order to help
in the research of fault injection/checkpointing) and the several
courses which separate me from my degree.
I have worked in many PHP projects during the last years, though most
of them where done for my courses.

I have chosen DW for my first attempt of joining a GSoC, because I use
it a lot and I would like to be part of it!
I believe GSoC is a great opportunity for every student to work in an
OSS project he is fond of.

All the proposed ideas are great, thought the ones I would like to
work with are: pagemoveng which is essential and merge.

** pagemoveng **

Pagemoveng is, in my opinion, an extremely important function missing from DW.
This fact motivates me even more to help in its development!
I have already got into plugin [1] development for DW and I believe that
by developing pagemoveng I will manage to fully comprehend the way DW
works.
Regarding the implementation, thread [2] covers this issue in many
ways, ways I would be glad to discuss via IRC

** Merge **

The idea of merging from the first moment I took a glimpse of it in a
RCS intrigued me, and I would like to implement it in DW.
A pure PHP implementation for merging and JS for notification messages
(probably with AJAX) would be perfect. Firstly, I would try to
implement my 3-way merging class (this would help me learn) and if the
benchmarks are poor I would continue by using one of the libraries
suggested.

In addition, here are some ideas I would like to recomment that will
help the further evolution of DW.

Create a class which will give the option of reading and saving data
from DW covering the following features:

1. Independent from PHP libraries in order to achieve high level of
compatibility.
2. Caching functions where needed in order to obtain faster reading of
data which do not alter frequently.
3. Benchmarking the class with the other known techniques of saving
based on files (JSON, sqlite, etc) in order to optimize the access
time.
If we manage to implement all of the above it would be useful to adapt
it with the current configuration system.

To be punctual, during the period of June I will have to parallely
face my university exams (for 4-5 courses) so I will no be as much
available as needed but I am more than eager and I will give my best
to fill the missing hours the next (or even previous) weeks!

That is all for now, please do not hesitate to contact me!!

Yours faithfully,

[1]: http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:custombuttons
[2]: //www.freelists.org/post/dokuwiki/New-Pagemove-Plugin-Brainstorming,0

--