[dokuwiki] [GSoC] Extending Translation Interface

  • From: Constantinos Xanthopoulos <conx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 21:55:05 +0300

Hello everybody,

There is an introducing e-mail of myself at the mailing list so I skip
mentioning my personal info.

I would also like to implement the translation idea.

I have already made ​​some additions to the idea [1] which I hope to
discuss through this list.

Firstly, we could categorize the strings which need translation in
order to make the process much more targeted. For example, if someone
wanted to translate only the frontend of DW in an untranslated
language he would have to translate pretty much everything, which is
discouraging. Some of the basic categories we could establish may be
frontend, backend and core (frontend & backend), with this structure
the translator will be able to choose what to translate.

Unfortunately, the above feature may make the translation process much
more complex, as the developer will be obligated to enlist every sting
he imports in the appropriate category. So, we should better discuss
if it is worth it.

Regarding the implementation, we should change the structure of the
strings. For example, one approach is to change $lang['btn_edit'] to
$lang["frontend"]['btn_edit'] while another one (Michitux's) would be
to just add comments or extra metadata. Finally, if we decide to make
all these changes it is important to achieve a smooth transition and
of course, backward compatibility.

Secondly, I would like to discuss about the implementation methods of
the integration with github. Will there be a wrapper of git binary
involved or we will use a PHP library?

Thirdly, it would be great to use the github API in order to inform
automatically the developer of the plugin about the merge of the
translated files with the plugin repository. This way the plugins will
be always up to date!

Finally, not having great experience with git, which is the best way
to avoid conflicts (such as the one that will happen when a plugin
developer updates his plugin by importing or deleting some strings)?

PS. It would be great if I had access in the source code of the
application as it would help me understand the deeper logic of the
project.

[1]: http://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:ideas:translation

--
Xanthopoulos Constantinos