[dokuwiki] Re: GSOC Translation tool.

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 16:13:44 +0100

Hi Dayanand

>    Hello, my name is Dayanand and i am interested in working on the
> translation tool as a GSoC project.

Please check out the mailing list archive, theres already a thread on
this which cover some of your questions.

>    >2) Have some git integration by either emailing or a more sophisticated
> way
>        This is the part that has got me confused.  What is the main objective
>    here? Fork a repo automatically when the changes are done or when a new
>    language is added? I did try searching a lot and found nothing on how
>    to do that. What point am I missing here?

Many plugin authors use git and github to manage their plugin
development. Instead of moving around whole language files that need
to be checked in by the plugin authors it make more sense to work with
patches only.
Having the translation interface work on it's own fork of the plugin
repository, would allow it to commit every change right away to this
repository. This would make it easier for two or more translators work
on the file even if the plugin author hasn't applied the changes of
the first one, yet. This would be even more important once third party
translation services are added to the equation.

How exactly this should work is part of the project to find out.
Especially handling merge conflicts could be somewhat tricky.

splitbrain.org