[dokuwiki] Fun: (Birthday Challenge: US, VA, Lynchburg)

  • From: "Support Account" <Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 01:06:51 -0500

Here in Lynchburg, Virginia, US, we are required to gracefully challenge anyone
in a third year of study in Mathematics & Computing. Please consider "Problem
Proposal #1109, Mathematics Magazine 53:5 (November, 1980), 300 (with
solution), "When will spring next begin on March 21st in the United States?'"
as it appears at http://www.trnicely.net/. Is Dr. Tom Nicely's solution
correct? Will Spring really begin on my birthday (20 March) this year, or will
my former professor remove points from my life-grade?

(For additional fun, see also "Original e-mail message announcing the discovery
of the Pentium division flaw, 30 October 1994" and consider class exercises
which might have been required. To how many decimal places do most professors
verify solutions?)

-Robert "Rob" Gregory
 feel free to say "Happy Birthday" toll-free at +1-877-476-2243 (+1-877-4Robbie)