[dokuwiki] Footnote fix, identical footnotes amalgamated

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:37:48 +0200

Hi!

I moved this discussion from my private inbox to the list...

> > > Fri Jul 22 11:20:32 BST 2005  chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >   * Footnote fix, identical footnotes amalgamated
> >
> > Thanks for the patch, but there is one problem: It breaks the
> > backlinks for footnotes. Usually you click the footnote
> > number to jump to the footnote text (#fnX). There you can
> > click the number again to jump back (#fntX). But with the
> > patch this backlink isn't unique anymore. I guess a better
> > approach would be giving out unique numbers as before, but
> > aggregate them in the bottom like this:
> >
> > --------
> > 1) a single footnote
> > 2), 5) another footnote referenced twice
> > 3) foo
> > 4) bar
> >
> > What do you think? Or do you have a better idea?
> >

> Two points occur to me
>
> (1) conventional footnotes are mainly useful on a printed page.  In
> which case linking back to the original isn't an issue.
>
> (2) in a web setting, the footnote would probably best be handled as a
> small insitu popup either on hover or on click.
>
> If constrained to use a more conventional approach, yes I think your
> idea is probably best.  However, in a web setting, requiring a user to
> click to view a footnote then to click to regain the original position
> in the text doesn't seem ideal.
>
> What do you think of revealing a div containing the rendered footnote
> on hover (or click) and showing the footnotes without any links at the
> bottom of the page?

Well, there are three points that might speak against a floating div

1) I'd like to keep viewing a page free of needed JavaScript (it's fine as
addition but shouldn't be needed).

2) The page should be printable as well

3) Footnotes in DokuWiki can contain anything and thus could be very large -
This could make a floating div impracticable