[dokuwiki] Dokuwiki plugin - offline version

  • From: Yann <yann.hamon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 01:55:37 +0100

Hi guys,

I have been waiting for a good plugin able to create an offline
version of my wiki for so long that I am ending writing it myself :(
Actually it is nearly done.

The main thing I am not happy with: you have to hack dokuwiki's core.
It is just two lines, in inc/common.php, but I _had_ to rewrite the ml
and wl functions.

Anyway, the script is based on the reindexer plugin. It uses AJAX to
create an offline versions of every page of your wiki. It handles
picture (pretty well I think) and uses relative links so you will be
able to browse it wherever you want.

It does not require special privileges to be run, but apache will need
write access to the directory where the archive will be created.

It uses dokuwikis templates, actually you will have to create one
because the default one just add things like edit, login which we dont
want. I used one i called "offline" i will distribute it once it is
done.

That plugin is first aimed to provide files for the kiwix engine
http://www.kiwix.org/index.php/Main_Page , which was conceived for
wikipedia. I will write a documentation about how to make a kiwix
version of your archive (basically it adds themes and search to your
html version, and is multiplatform -  it rockz ;) )

I will release the code in the coming days, it would love to see it
reviewed by one dokuwiki core dev, to make it meet dokuwiki standards
(not 100% sure i used dokuwiki functions every time I could) - the
script is pretty short, should not take too much time.

So, what is this post about? I wanted to know if you had special
feature wishes concerning that... we were thinking of making it work
with the Tag plugin, so it would only put in the archives files tagged
with "archive" for example... a @print css would also make sense...

Also still need to be done:
- ACLs check
- make sure it works with mod_rewrite
- clean up code, document it
- use dokuwiki functions wherever it is possible
- Improve error handling
- hope it works with yesterdays release

I hope i will get some feedback on this and get people help me on
it... I will make a first release as soon as I can. If people have
ideas how i could rewrite ml() and wl() without touching common.php
they are welcome :)

Yann