[dokuwiki] DokuWiki breadcrumbs - trace versus youarehere

  • From: Jason Keltz <jas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:41:12 -0400

Hi.

As far as I understand it, in Dokuwiki, we have two kinds of "breadcrumbs" - a trace and a "you are here" type. Let's say that I have a web site where I have these documents:

start.txt
wiki/announcements.txt

The start page is simply:
<h1>Welcome</h1>

The wiki/announcements page is simply:
<h1>Announcements</h1>

[h1 used for display purposes.. In reality, the site would use DokuWiki h1 syntax.]

I have the "Use first page heading for page names" turned on in configuration.

When the user is first brought to the site, I want the "breadcrumb" bar to show:

Welcome

When the user clicks on "Announcements", I want the breadcrumb bar to be:

Welcome > Announcements

If the user clicks on "Welcome", I want the breadcrumb bar to be just:

Welcome

Neither of the existing breadcrumb bars will show me that.

Trace does what it's supposed to do, showing me a trace of where I have been. However, as you visit different pages, and the trace output scrolls around, it wouldn't start at the "Welcome" page. The "you are here" (hierarchical) type will include "wiki" in its listing even though I didn't explicitly go there like this:

Welcome > wiki > Announcements

Even if "wiki/start.txt" had existed, I wouldn't have wanted it to show the user the header because that's not the path the user took.

Is there any 'combination' of trace and "you are here" breadcrumb that let's the user see exactly where they are in the site, but starting from the first page in the site.

Jason.