[dokuwiki] Re: Designer working on new default template soon

  • From: Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 20:22:44 +0100

On 01/08/2011 17:06, Andreas Gohr wrote:
As I understand it, my first task is to create a *visual* design to be
implemented during WikiFest in Berlin.

Yes and no. The visual design might be a first step, but the actual
implementation is what takes most of the work in the end. I'm not sure

I disagree. Implementing an (at least nearly) finished design shouldn't take longer than a day or so. Making a great design and getting everyone to agree to at least the main parts of it will take much longer IMHO.

if there will be anyone working on implementing the template at the
WikiFest. I at least will probably be busy with the the JQuery port...

I planned to work on it during WikiFest. But ...

Are you available for putting your design into HTML+CSS and finally
into real DokuWiki template code?

... in case Clarence will do it anyway, we don't even need the WikiFest deadline anymore. Although as we'll probably have a feature freeze in the beginning of September, the real deadline will still be close to the WikiFest (I guess, best would be end of August).

b) Describe to me what the visual design should convey or feel. Friendly?
Stark? Clean? Spacious? Dense? That kind of thing.

I'm looking for clean, modern look that gets out of the way of the
content. It should be relatively neutral

I basically agree. Although "clean" and "modern" could also mean "cold". I'd prefer "warm". Although not too warm ... not so much "warm" as in "red", more "warm" as in "muted".

I'd like the "modern" to mean "cool CSS3 stuff". :) Although, you can see how many modern websites are doing it wrong and are integrating too much of it. I'd rather have just 2 or 3 cool and surprising (?) CSS3/whatever design elements (which obviously degrade gracefully in "uncool" CSS2 in IE etc).
So, mainly neutral and clean, yes. But with a certain additional flair.

I also definitely agree with more whitespace and a content-centered approach.

Cheers,
Anika