[dokuwiki] Default license of new wikis' content

  • From: Tanguy Ortolo <tanguy+dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:16:21 +0200

Hello,

While we are talking about licenses: the default license for the content
of new wikis powered by DokuWiki is CC-BY-NC-SA, which is a non-free (as
in free software) license. Thus, it is unsuitable for most free
documentation projects.

This can be a problem for documentations projects whose manager did not
thought about the license at first time: CC-BY-NC-SA will be applied by
default, and when he realizes it, it may be too late, requiring to write
to all the contributors to change to a free license.

By the way, in the Debian package that is built for DokuWiki, we
included a patch to change the default license to “public domain”. It is
not me that did this change, but I think it is a good default as:
1. it is more distinctive than “a CC license”, this the manager of the
   wiki is more likely to remark it and change it at the beginning if he
   wants to;
2. as the most liberal license that could exist, it allows switching to
   any license at any time without asking anyone, thus making really
   easy to make another definive choice after some time.

Is there a specific reason why DokuWiki sets CC-BY-NC-SA as the default
license? And could it be changed, for new installations, to public
domain, or at least a free license like CC-BY-SA? Maybe this choice
could be a question of install.php?

Regards,

--
Tanguy Ortolo