[dokuwiki] Data-URI support, worth having?

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 01:52:39 +0200

Hi Guys,

I just pushed a patch to a feature branch:
https://github.com/splitbrain/dokuwiki/commit/809d3ba53bea8b34155c

But I'm not sure if it is worth having in DokuWiki. The idea is to
reduce the HTTP overhead be reducing the number of requests for small
image files. The patch embeds these files directly into the CSS.

Pros:

  * less HTTP requests
  * cool Feature
  * totally transparent - no interaction by template and plugin
developers needed

Cons:

  * does not work for IE < 8
  * users might load data of images that might not even be used
anywhere in the wiki (like obscure interwiki icons)

What do you think? Worth merging?

splitbrain.org