[dokuwiki] Chi's Legacy

  • From: Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 11:01:39 +0000

Hi all,

Some but not all of you will already know that Chi (Michael Klier) has "resigned" and left a legacy of a lot of good and popular plugins (20 as part of a team and 14 on his own) and templates (6) [http://github.com/chimeric]. He wrote only to the team's mailinglist about his leaving [http://www.freelists.org/post/dokuwiki-teams/Leaving-Teams] but not to this list. I think it will be beneficial to inform you all as well, as many plugin and template developers are on this list but not in any team.

Some people are worried about all the orphaned plugins and templates. But I think every good piece of code will find its new maintainer automatically. It's part of the FOSS spirit that several people care for some code. And whoever cares the most at a specific time will "lead" its development.

From some people's reactions I found that they show "too much respect" for Chi's legacy. That's partly a good thing because he definitely deserves that respect. But on the other hand it's a bad thing because it keeps people from grabbing the code and taking care of it. If you take care of it, it doesn't mean that you're taking it away. It belongs to the community anyway. And when (if?) Chi comes back, he can either take the code back from the new maintainer(s) or send them patches or not care about it at all but will be gratefull that someone else cares.

So, if anyone on this list has always been interested in any of Chi's plugins or templates, is maintaining something similar already anyway or has participated in some of them in the past, they are looking for new parents.

Cheers,
Anika