[dokuwiki] Re: Building a book from DokuWiki

  • From: Cédric Schmitz <cedric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:40:52 +0200

Hi all !

Sorry if it's not the right place for this message, but regarding some of your comments, i'd like to know if some of you know Scenari, an open source WYSIWYM* publishing chains.
http://scenari-platform.org/projects/scenari/en/pres/co/

In my job we are trying to use it in order to make technical software documentation (Dokiel chain).
http://scenari-platform.org/projects/dokielguide/en/pres/co/

Finally with Dokuwiki, we use the odt plugins partially because only few desktop agree tu use OpenOffice.org, and we don't have all the skills to customise the tool.

Regards.

Cédric.
* what you see it's what you mean

Le 28/04/2010 09:37, Jörg Ferlein a écrit :
Hi everyone,

I am also a technical editor and would like to confirm the workflow with all problems described by Jason.

We should differentiate the technical documentation as a regular job in a company and the generating of a single book from Wiki content. Technical Documentation should be integrated in product life cycle and complex business processes. Technical documentation includes a lot of additional subprocesses like translation (via translation agencies), integration in superordinate documents, *cross media publishing* and data exchange to third parties.

My intention is also a simplification of the whole process _and_ the document structures in comparison to DITA and/or DocBook. The structural complexity is not required in a lot of cases at all. This complexity results partly from strategies of extensive reusing of information units. Reusing is an important possibility for reducing time and effort. On the other hand complex reuse strategies are often overrated and the reason for more administration, additional markup and high end authoring systems.

Nevertheless, XML is a good technological base for adaptable publication processes.

That's why I would like to use a simple XML file as an intermediate level. I see the publishing process in 3 steps:

1. Collecting and ordering the modules (content) of the book in DokuWiki
   * listed links
   * includes wiki pages
   * drag and drop like bookcreator
   * ???
2. Export to a standardized data container
3. Generate the required output data (PDF, ODT, TEX, WordML, HTML, ODT
   ...) or (if possible) transform to more complex data structures
   like DITA for data exchange with third parties.

Maybe the way of a direct PDF production (like bookcreator) is also quite interesting for simple and quick print output.

The disadvantage of ODT export is, unfortunately, a low spreading of OpenOffice.org in the industry (at least in Germany). The same one is valid for TEX. That's another reason, why I prefer XML.

Note to the solution with include+odt:
I don't prefer the "include" tag to combine multiple wiki pages, because I need a "not-included" version in DokuWiki. I would like to define the book as a list with links to the wiki pages and have thus also in the Wiki. If I use a list, I must transform the links to "includes" before export. I need 2 wiki pages, one with listed links and second with "includes" (redundancy!) or the construction of the "include page" occurs in the background.

Kind regards

Jörg