[dokuwiki] Re: Best practices of multiple documentation releases

  • From: "YC Chan" <peter.chan.yc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 10:17:31 +0200

To Andreas:
"To answer the intial question: I assume that the documentation of a
released
product won't change anymore, so why not just move the whole Wiki install to
an archive and copy the contents to a new 'current' wiki?"

We refer to one version of the software product: it is frozen for the
release.
Hence, it is logical to move the current Wiki to an archive (even make a PDF
version).
It considers that the work/discussion leading to the current version is
valided/frozen,
and rollback to intermediate revisions is not needed (and not allowed).

This is logical, and I would call this "selective forgetting". The
disadvantage of spinning
off (completely) a copy is that you can't do compare the current version to
previously
version(s) validated in this way. IMHO it is good to know that a certain
function was
introduced in version 1.2 of your software, when you are 1.5 (or more).

That is the reason I suggest keeping the validated version (tagging it with
'VERSION 1.X.X')
and forgetting the intermediate changes. This means clearing up the
changelog (upto any
previous VERSION tag) and freeing the attic space. Many DB users have
purging mechanisms.
The version tags should not be erasable by anyone (only Admin?).

To Chris: I agree that following simultaneously several paths is out of
scope.

"it would be cool to ..."
Ah! that is exactly what I'm suggesting ... "dreaming" something better, or
making a
specification! But we should have the same dream (maybe even a huge one)...