[dokuwiki] Re: Autosubmit popularity data (FS2025)

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:17:37 +0100

>> - Introduction of the function autoSubmitPopularity(), called from
>> doku.php, which send the data if needed
>
> The submission of the data should imho happen in the indexer, the code
> for doing that should be placed in the popularity plugin.

Aye. Gathering all the data is somewhat time consuming and thus should
be separated from the main script. The indexer would be that place.

> Furthermore at the Hackfest in Zurich we thought about adding something
> like that you submit the data manually for the first time and when
> submitting that data an option is given to automatically submit that
> data from now on

Yes. The idea is to make sure the user has to manually submit the data
once, so he knows about what we are going to send in the future.

I'd solve that by adding a checkbox to the current interface. For
simplicity I wouldn't even add the option to our standard config but
would instead save some state file for it in /data/cache/ - this state
file would serve two purposes:

1. if it exists it means auto submission is enabled
2. the lastmod date of that file tells you when the data was last submitted

Disabling the option would simply mean to delete that state file again

> (and there should be some good options like every month).

I don't think there's a need for any choice of the time frame. Once a
month should be perfectly fine.

> Apart from that thanks for working on that feature

Full Ack. Thanks for taking action :-)

splitbrain.org