[dokuwiki] Re: Advice please on text transfer into DW

  • From: Kevin Lee Phair II <listreader@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:18:37 -0500

Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

Hi All,

I have try copy from one big document some text into DW
For example as next:

--------------------------------------

Data models supported by different DBMS are divided into the following
categories: * network; * hierarchical; * relational; * object-relational;
* object-oriented;

--------------------------------------
Problem is that DokuWiki show this text as

Data models supported by different DBMS are divided into the following
categories: * network; * hierarchical; * relational; * object-relational; *
object-oriented;

While MediaWiki still show it correctly, each star on new line.

As far as I see on DW are
1) I need manually add 2 spaces before each STAR. Annoying!

2) wrap by <code> tags. Hmm why I need add additional garbage into text? :-)
   may be tomorrow I will want copy text to other place,
   so again cleanup it ?

There is no way select few lined and click some button "indent right".
By the way I have see such buttons in other wikis.

So what is the RIGHT way to move such text into DW ?

I would guess that there is no one best answer; there are too many possibilities for the format of the incoming text as well as the desired wiki output.

In this particular case, it sounds like your best bet is use a decent text editor to insert the spaces in front of the stars.
If you open the text file in vi or vim, you should be able to do this by typing ":1,$s/^*/ */g" (without the quotes). Other text editors should have their own way of performing the same task without too much effort.