[dokuwiki] AW: Minor edits pros+cons summary

  • From: Andreas.Trawoeger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "dokuwiki" <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:29:14 +0200

Problem with Minor Edits done manualy is that 2 users normaly don't agree what
a minor edit is supposed to be. If you do them automatically a program can't
detect small, but important changes.

So my question is: why not simply add an 'Publish via RSS' button to a page
that either defaults to yes or no + the option to write a summary.

This way a user can decided if a change gets published or not. The main problem
with 'minor edit' is that user don't know whats the result of activating it or
not. So they tend to ignore it
or leave it untouched, because it isn't the default behaivor. Just naming it to
something like 'add to RSS Feed' would make that much more clearer.

Another thing you could probably think of is how to publish different levels of
RSS Feed eg. an ever change feed, an only major changes feed and an only new
pages feed?

The one feed fits them all aproach is always problematic and will never really
work. So if you start to classify changes it would make sense to publish
different levels of RSS feeds too.

Probably you could even combine both approaches and implement the possibility
to define different RSS feed (eg. network, server, storage) and let the user
decide to which one the change should get published.

This way on group of edititors would only get the changes via RSS they are
really interested in, but has the possibility to feed the change to another
channel if the feed concerns some other group too.

So my summery is: Would't make it more sense to think about how to support
different levels & groups of RSS feeds. Than to think how to squeze all the
needs into a single RSS feed?

If every user is happy with RSS feeds everbody will use and is motivated to
keep them usable. If only a handfull of users use them, they others won't care
and will start doing stupid things like akitivating 'minor edit' every time,
just because they see no reason to write a summary.

cu andreas

Mit freundlichen BlackBerry Grüssen

Andreas Trawöger

Stabstelle Technologie und Security