[dokuwiki] Re: AW: Documentation Revision Tool

  • From: Florian Feldhaus <florian.feldhaus@xxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:29:08 +0200

Hello,

we also thought about some quality assurance for our wiki. Some of our pages have to be quite accurate and we have certain users which are responsible for that pages. We currently use the "inform me when page change" feature, but it would be nice to enhance that. Also our pages become outdated after a while, so we would need some mechanism to remind the responsible user to review the page and change outdated stuff. Also a note for the other users should be displayed, that the page isn't reviewed or is currently outdated. I'd like to help develop a plugin for quality assurance or page review.

Florian

Gabriel Birke schrieb:
Hello,

very interesting to see similar requirements. We are also planning some
revision and workflow features for DokuWiki. Let me describe what we have
planned:

1) Assignment of Users to Documents
Each document can be assigned a user with a certain role: The "author" of
the document (which can differ from the author that is shown at the bottom
of the wiki page), the user who authorized the publication, the user who is
currently revising/correcting the document, etc. The information will be
stored in the page metadata.
The assignment of roles will be implemented as a series of autocompleting
input fields after the edit field. Some roles will receive notifications by mail on certain events (e.g.
content change).
Probably there will be some summary pages that show which role/user is
assigned to which documents.

2) Drafts and Document versions
Published documents have version numbers and are read-only. When a document
is to be revised, a user clicks a "Create Revision" button and the content
of the document is duplicated to a special "draft" namespace (not visible
for everybody). There the new version can be edited. When the edits are
finished, the user who authorizes publications clicks a "Publish"-Button and
the document contents are copied back to the "Live" version and the version
number is increased. Each document has a revision history who edited,
corrected and authorized it and when it was published. The focus of the
history is not on each individual edit (like the "native" revision list of
the wiki) but on the details of each revision. It contains the user role
information from step 1. The document history can be displayed at the
beginning or end of the document.
I don't know when these plugins will be finished, but don't expect anything
before February/March. If you have any additional ideas, let me know, maybe
I will incorporate them.

@Gerry: Send me an off-list mail if you are interested in a plugin that
shows pages with a certain age. I can make you an offer.

Gabriel