[dokuwiki] A small idea

  • From: "Balazs Attila-Mihaly \(Cd-MaN\)" <x_at_y_or_z@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 12:26:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all!

First of all I want to thank all the developers for this great product! Thank
you! Also, happy easter to those of you who celebrate it now (as opposed to
next month)!

One question: I saw that the date formatting method was changed from "date" to
"strftime" (around mid-February) and the stated reason was something related to
localized month/day names (sorry for not having the exact quote handy). However
this breaks many plugins in ugly ways, and while the fix is not that hard
(basically searching the plugin source code for "date" and replacing it with
"strftime"), may I suggest an alternative approach:

  - create a different configuration variable for the "strftime" formatting
string
  - provide migration to/from the two settings (ie if only one is set, the
other should be created programatically). this shouldn't be all that difficult,
since all that needs to be done is mapping a set of identifiers to a different
set of identifiers (for example Y <-> %Y)

The drawback of this is that you can have non-localized day/month names appear
on your wiki until the given plugin provides an updated version. However this
is still the lesser evil of the two alternatives (the other being that the site
gets littered by "%" where "date" is used format the time)

If there is interest in such a patch I would be happy to provide it (in unified
diff format probably, since I haven't used darcs yet for anything other than
pulling the devel version of DokuWiki)

PS. I think that the fact that there will be (hopefully) a release real soon is
great! Between this and the planned Ubuntu release, April should be a great
month :-).