[discuss ifpsc] Re: Feedback requested re: 5th IFPSC proposal

  • From: "Elliott Jr,J. Richard" <elliot1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <discuss-ifpsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 09:57:11 -0500

Andreas makes a very good point.  We sacrifice something in terms of
ready recognition of the property we are predicting, however.  Is there
some other property, perhaps related to ADME properties of
pharmaceuticals that might be a bit less fully developed?  This would
give the best of both worlds.

I still have a doubt about Jonathon's concern regarding the number of
compounds.  In the measurements that I have made, the hard part is
getting the apparatus all fresh and re-calibrated.  Once that is done,
it is almost a waste to measure just two things.  Maybe the price picks
up if you go from five to ten, but I don't see how the price can be very
different for two or five.  Having more compounds reduces the element of
winning by wild luck, also mentioned by Andreas.  Maybe you like the
element of wild luck, but I think it undermines the seriousness of the
effort.

JRE