[directmusic] Re: wav tracks, a pain... solutions?

  • From: "Scott Morgan" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 07:45:48 -0600

This is what I am doing for my flute track that comes in and out.  That was
complex enough combined with the fact that it is dynamically loaded (another
huge problem area that I am too comitted to)

The thing is whith an elaborate wave project it could get immensely complex.
My scripts are bad enough as they are.....I think my head would explode if I
added this kind of thing to the mix.

For instance my original wave project was a heavy metal piece.  I had a wave
for the rhythm guitars, a wave for the leads, and a wave for various synth
parts.  There were three segments like this.  To make it work I would need 9
different wave p-channels.  I prefer to use 3 to keep things consistent, but
if you are fading one out, you can't start a new wave on the same p-channel.
What's worse is if you want to restart a segment.....you can't fade the
waves in and out at the same time.  So if you wanted to support that (which
I did) you would have to make alternates of each segment.  Now I need 18
p-channels!   What if I wanted to adjust the volume of all rhythm parts?  I
have to remeber which p-channels are rhythm and which are not and adjust
each  one by one....in their pattern track equivalent since wave tracks
don't support CC tracks.That was just for a demo project.  What if I was
doing a whole game?  I can't bring myself to jump into that kind of
scripting and p-channel management.

The other option is the seperate audiopath route, which is even worse
performance and complexity wise.

-Scott Morgan
http://Morganstudios.com