[directmusic] directmusic w/ Unreal or Half-Life game engine

  • From: Xavier Angel Velazquez <xav55555@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "freelists.org directmusic" <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:10:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

This list encourages new subscribers to write a few words about
themselves, so here it goes: My name is Xavier Velazquez. I have a
background in mechanical engineering, sound engineering,
songwriting/composition, computer programming, and live Mexican folk
music performance. Currently, I am a multimedia master's student at
California State University, Hayward.

I am part of a five-member thesis group that will be producing a unique
biofeedback video game. As composition/sound lead, I am very much
interested in using directmusic with our project. However, our team
seems to be leaning toward using the Unreal Tournament or Half-Life
game engine, and I am unsure if they support directmusic. In ?Directx 9
Audio Exposed: Interactive Audio Development? it?s made clear that the
LithTech engine supports directmusic, but it?s not made clear if other
game engines (that are readily available) have successfully
incorporated directmusic.

I am new to the world of interactive/adaptive/non-repetitive game
audio, therefore I do not have a full grasp of the bigger picture. I
would very much appreciate if someone could please enlightenment me in
what game engines directmusic is or is not compatible with? (e.g.,
Unreal? Half-Life?) I need to make a recommendation very soon to my
team about what music authoring tools we should use. I?m keeping my
fingers crossed that directmusic will fit nicely within our
architecture. I just need proof, research, recommendations, or
assurances to back up my decisions.

Thank you,
Xavier
xav@xxxxxxxxxxxx